Friday, December 12, 2008

Rumors

With MacWorld 2009 coming up within the first week of January, Apple fans are getting excited. Lots of rumors are going around, so let's have a quick round-up of some rumors going around in the Apple blogging community, and my opinions on them.

Mac Tablet- Yes, many people are convinced that Apple is going to come out with a tablet-style Mac. This would logically make sense, seeing as they just revolutionized mobile phones with the iPhone's multi-touch controls. They could use the same patented controls in the Tablet. Problem is, I thought I remembered seeing Jobs saying that a Tablet wouldn't "make sense" right now. Also, it would probably cost about $3000.

$100 iPhone- This is an interesting one. A lot of people are saying that iPhones are still too expensive, so rumor has it that Apple's responding to this by introducing a $100 iPhone with 4 GB of storage at MacWorld. That would be awesome. It would be a dealmaker for a lot of people I know, since the monthly rates are pretty expensive. Many more people are saying that this deal will be made with Wal-Mart. That's where I put my foot down. I hate Wal-Mart. They underpay their workers, and they have no regard for anything other than money. I don't want Apple to support the richest company on Earth.

Beatles on iTunes- The only thing missing from the iTunes Music Store is the Beatles, in my opinion. According to Paul McCartney, talks to put the Fab Four's music on iTunes have been "stalled", but I think they may finally make it to iTunes in 2009. They made it onto a music game recently, and everybody got excited about that. We'll see.

Zune Phone- No, I'm not kidding. This is really recent news. It seems that Microsoft may be near the release of a Zune Phone made entirely by them, contrary to their typical strategy of creating the OS and handing it to 3rd-party companies. I don't believe it. It's not going to happen. And if it does happen... Jeez. I think Apple should be flattered that they're inspiring so many people. First all these smartphone makers, and now Microsoft themselves? All from a touch-screen phone that can play music better than any other phone? I don't think this one is true. Don't expect a Zune Phone any time soon.

Netbook- Yes, everybody, and I mean everybody has been talking about this supposed $599 Netbook that Apple's going to release. It's not going to happen. Steve Jobs was asked why Apple didn't make $600 Macs to get more market share, and Steve replied that their goal was to just make great products, and for a Mac to be worth $600, it would be too stripped-down to be at Apple's standards. I agree. Apple isn't for every single consumer. It is a high-class computer which is only for those who demand the best. $599 doesn't sound like the best at all. Please don't expect this to happen. If it does happen, however, I'll probably pass out in excitement for a few weeks.

-Derek

No comments: